The information below was sent to Registered Psychologists by email on December 14, 2014.
Regretfully at times when such mass emails are sent, we have later learned from a few Registrants that they did not receive the email. As such, all information sent by the recent email has been included below.
Changes to the NSBEP Continuing Competence Program:
Effective January 1, 2015
The NSBEP Continuing Competence Program came into effect on January 1, 2012. At that time, The Board indicated that it would “elicit feedback from psychologists about the program” and “modify the program to reflect feedback and advancing knowledge with respect to the assessment of competencies”. The Board has carefully reviewed the feedback from registrants obtained from the Continuing Competence Program Survey. The Board has made the following decisions regarding the Continuing Competence Program.
- The audit of psychologists for compliance with the Program for 2013 and 2014 were placed on hold pending the results of the Continuing Competence Program survey of registrants. Given the proposed changes to the program, the Board has decided not to pursue the audits for the years 2013 and 2014.
- The following changes to the Continuing Competence Program will come into effect January 1, 2015.
- The next audit of psychologists for compliance with the program in 2015 will occur in early 2016.
- Continuing Competence Program Form 1 (Self-Assessment and Learning Objectives) will now be optional. Registrants may continue to use this form to help guide their plans for the year but psychologists will no longer be required to submit Form 1 as part of the Audit process. Psychologists will no longer be required to have another psychologist review and sign their Self-Assessment and Learning Objectives (Form 1).
- There have been some changes made to the Continuing Competence Program Form 2. Certain parts of the form must be completed by January 1st each year. Registrants are asked to identify broad learning objectives for the Core Competencies for the coming year. Form 2 can then be used to list Continuing Competence Activities and claim credits, as these occur during the year. The revised Form 2 is available on the NSBEP website.
- There was some confusion about where webinars might best fit in terms of the Continuing Competence Activities. It was decided that webinars would be included under the workshop category. See revised Table of Continuing Competence Activities and Credit Values (now included in Form 2).
- In responding to the Continuing Competence Program Survey, some psychologists indicated that the list of Continuing Competence Activities did not adequately cover their learning activities. No examples were provided, however, and no suggestions were made regarding additional continuing competence activities. The Board has decided to retain the existing Continuing Competence Activities and credit values for 2015. Registrants are invited to submit suggestions for additional Continuing Competence Activities for the Board to consider.
- In responding to the Continuing Competence Program Survey, some psychologists indicated that they were uncertain about what documentation they should retain for the various Continuing Competence Activities. See revised Table of Continuing Competence Activities and Credit Values for documentation requirements (now included in Form 2).