NSBEP may extend temporary registration to psychologists from other jurisdictions as a courtesy. Psychologists registered and in good standing in other jurisdictions may apply for temporary registration in Nova Scotia.
Temporary registration is available to psychologists:
(a) Up to 21 full practice days (or 157.5 hours) per calendar year. Currently there is no charge for option a.
(b) Up to a maximum of 40 full practice days (or 300 practice hours) per calendar year, for a fee of $200
A full Practice Day is considered to be 7.5 hours.
All placements on the Courtesy Registrar must be approved by the Registrar or Assistant Registrar in advance of beginning work in Nova Scotia, via the procedure outlined below.
1. For placement on the Courtesy Register, psychologists must complete Part 1 of the Courtesy Registration Application Form and forward Part 2 to their home jurisdiction.
*Click here for this form. Complete Part 1 and send it to your home jurisdiction. This must be received before registration can begin.
We understand that it can take time for another jurisdiction to complete the above form but we do not have control over this process. The form is required. It is not sufficient to direct the Board to the website of the regulatory body to verify registration information online. It is the psychologist’s responsibility to ensure sufficient processing time for all aspects of the Courtesy Registration process.
The application form must verify the following:
(1) An attestation that the psychologist holds liability insurance that extends coverage to Nova Scotia
(2) Proof of registration/licensure and good standing in their home jurisdiction
(3) Proof there are no outstanding complaints against them
(4) Proof there are no conditions on their registration / licensure
In addition, the Application Form requires you to provide the following to the Board:
2. Your employer and nature of your work in Nova Scotia.
3. Provide a list of the dates you will be working in Nova Scotia. Alternatively, psychologists who are unable to provide a list of all dates in advance are issued courtesy registration with an expiry date at the end of the calendar year, subject to the number of practice day / hours allowed per year as noted above.
4. Provide your email address so that we can follow up with you and provide verification of courtesy registration.
5. Psychologists wishing to practice using option b must pay the $200 fee.
6. Calculation of the number of full practice days / hours involved is based on direct client contact as well as all hours related to the direct client contact such as the analysis/interpretation of the data, written and spoken communications regarding the case, and report preparation time. The Board counts actual days of practice or hours of work, not calendar days. For example, 15 hours of practice completed over a two week period would be equivalent to two full practice days.
7. The Registrar / Assistant Registrar on reviewing the information provided may:
(1) approve the placement
(2) request additional information or
(3) refuse the placement.
8. The Registrar or Assistant Registrar informs the psychologist of the decision.